First, it must be noted that stress is not your three children fighting in the backyard. Stress is not forced on you inescapably by that extra weight of work your boss dumped on you today. Stress is not even that alarming phone call that came at 2 AM this morning.
Stress is your response to unusual demands made on you. You can respond positively, which is eustress, or negatively, which is distress. The effects of stress depend on your response to demands.
What Are Some Effects of Stress When It Is Eustress?
Eustress is positive, good stress. It is the stress you feel when your hard work finally results in a promotion. It is the feeling you have when you get your first date with a person you have long wanted to date.
The effects of stress that is eustress are beneficial, good effects.
- Eustress makes you feel euphoric, joyful, exhilarated.
- Eustress makes you smile and laugh.
- Eustress is enjoyable. You welcome it.
- Eustress releases extra endorphins. Scientific studies show that even the expectation of enjoyment raises endorphin levels by 27 percent.
- Eustress improves health.
- Eustress makes you productive and cooperative.
- Eustress balances your life, offsetting detrimental distress.
What are some effects of stress when it is eustress? You enjoy life more, and make progress with your goals.
What Are Some Effects of Stress When It Is Distress?
Distress is negative, bad stress. This is the stress to which most people refer when they say they have stress in their lives. It is the stress you feel when you did your very best, and were rewarded only with complaints that you did not do enough, or did not perform quickly enough.
The effects of stress when it is distress are detrimental, bad effects.
- Distress makes you feel depressed, anxious, fearful.
- Distress makes you frown and complain.
- Distress is troublesome. You try to avoid it.
- Distress releases excess adrenaline, which can negatively impact the heart and other vital organs if not relieved quickly.
- Distress compromises health.
- Distress makes you unproductive and “hard to get along with”.
- Distress upsets your life, and can lead to serious problems in every area: mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual.
What are some effects of stress when it is distress? You develop a distaste for life, fail to meet goals, and suffer both physical and mental ills.
You Can Choose
You can choose the effects of stress you want.
You can choose anxiety, behavioral problems, disease such as cancer and heart disease, and other harmful effects of stress. Or you can choose happiness, positive energy, psychological health, physiological health, and other helpful effects of stress.
The effects of stress are created by your reaction to unusual demands. If you choose to react positively, you will reap the beneficial effects of stress that is eustress. If you choose to react positively, you will reap the detrimental effects of stress that is distress.